Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Big Sighs and the Amazing Baby

I know it has been too long, and honestly I think everyday about what I'd be typing and what I want to remember about each moment. Wyatt is changing all the time. He has sprouted a new tooth on top...with another quickly following. We see him more and more let go of things and stand suspended by imaginary strings for a moment...until he realizes and plops to the floor. His strength is amazing....trying to get his mind off what he wants to do instead of having new diapers or clothes is really a test of will. I often wonder who will win...and I'm thinking my days are numbered. Last night, Cici picked him up from daycare and Mema & Pops came by after a doctor's appointment. They laughed at him and with him, and it is truly wonderful to stand back and watch everyone's face light up while hanging on to his every expression. I laughed so hard I could barely breathe as he laid across my arms and blew bubbles into the inside of my arm. He kept moving his mouth around as if to find the perfect spot he could gain the best effect. David assures me this is the start of boy humor...something I have much to learn about!

And yes, he did start daycare two weeks ago today. He has been struggling like a champ through his first cold for almost all of those two weeks, and last weekend had a stomach virus that made both of us lose appetites for a while...and turns out Grandma Lucille shared this one with us as well. He is finally getting close to his normal diet again, thankfully. (Did I mention earlier that David had the flu all weekend before New Year's Eve?) Anyway, daycare is going fairly well. Wyatt seems to like his teachers, though he does cry when we start to leave. I've been trying to spend time with him there in the mornings before I go to work...easing him into his day. They've told us he does really well on his own and when he does get tired or frustrated, he tends to crawl across the room to his crib essentially insisting on his nap.

Wyatt is also becoming quite adept at finger foods. I hear today he ate a whole banana...which is really hard for me to imagine! He likes little bites of soft cheese, avocado, puffs...cereal bites for babies, and bites of bread or crackers. He has also finally made the transition to formula, which seems to be working out fine for him.

I can't help but laugh out loud when he starts opening and closing his mouth, making a smacking click with his tongue. I think he is imitating my gum chewing habit...and making me realize I must be terribly rude! We had his 9 month check up last Friday, and found he still hasn't crossed the 18lb mark....but he is close. He was in the 10 percentile range in weight, 20 in length, and 60 in head width. Music...he loves it, and shrieks with glee while bouncing up and down to the beat. Those Einstein books are a hit with him...each page has a little song you play along with the story. We watch him figure out how to handle his toys better all the time...many of them also make music when he pulls the right door or knobs. I saw him pick up a peek-a-block the other night and almost put it in the square opening, which makes "Old McDonald" song play.

So the new year has been wonderful, even with all of the sickness. We did spend New Year's day together, with a quick trip to the park in the brisk air. Wanted to start it out right, enjoying each other and our dearly adored boy. This weekend we will go on our first trip away from him to celebrate our 2 year anniversary at the inn where we married. Our dear friends Anthony & Jennifer and Traci & Ron are going to make it extra special by joining us there. We are also making a quick stop through College Station to spend the night with good friends Tim & Valerie...who just moved back to Texas to head up the Visualization Sciences department. I am having some anxieties already about leaving Wyatt, but I know he will be adored every moment by his Grandma Lucille and Grandpa Parrish! Wish us peaceful hearts please!!

No comments: