Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Papa's first day at home

I left home this morning a little after 7am...and all was quiet in the house. Grandma Lucille, little Wyatt and Papa Dap were all sound asleep. I tiptoed into Wyatt's room before I left to take one last look...very difficult not grabbing him up to hold close before leaving for work. He slept so peacefully, holding that one little hand that he managed to squirm out of his swaddle up close to his soft cheek.

Being at work is going well. Spending time catching up on projects and getting back in the swing of things is good, but by 10am I really wanted to know how things were going at home. I broke down and called David, hoping not to wake anybody up. David answered and was obviously wide awake. His first comment was that they had a little accident. He had been trying to clip Wyatt's fingernails, and as you can guess, ran into trouble when he caught the skin. Luckily Grandma Lucille was still there to help stop the bleeding and calm a frantic father. I can only imagine how horrible he must have felt causing little boy tears today. It was hard just hearing about it and not being able to offer comfort to either of them. When he told me about putting New Skin on his finger, a jolt went over me. Letting go of it, I realized we are smack in the middle of learning how to take care of things we've never before considered....and sometimes we've got to do it fast.

Today I am hearing "this too shall pass" in my head, and knowing that when I get home today I'm going to smile when I see my husband holding our little boy, wearing a little wet slobbery mitten close to his soft cheek.

1 comment:

Ms. Daisy said...

Mercy Me!! DAPDAPWAP!!! I keep thinking about the beautiful little girl (DAP) I used to 'baby' sit before I left Texas and moved to North Carolina in 1980. DeeDra (DAP), you and David(WAP)are a lovely pair and now with Wyatt (WAP) yawl are a lovely family!! WAP is adorable. I can imagine squeezing him and nibbling on his fat little cheeks for a long time!! I know WAP is your dream come true. Give GOD all the glory cause when HE shows up HE shows out. Alleluia!! I love this blog. I can keep up with yawl and WAP's progress. It is all too awesome. What a blessing!!!! Way to Go!!!Daisy DeBerry (formerly Crenshaw.